Join Illinois’ framework of Grassroots Libertarian Activists
Become a Committeeman
for your Precinct, Township or Ward
What is a Precinct Committeeman?
A Libertarian Party Precinct Committeeman represents the Libertarian voters of his or her precinct at the local level. Inside Cook County we have Township Committeemen and in side Chicago, it is Ward Committeemen. These Committeemen are the face of our party within the precincts, and, in many cases, might be the only party official a voter ever meets.
The Libertarian Precinct Committeeman’s job is, in essence, all about helping to spread Libertarian values of Freedom, Peace and Prosperity, and in turn, grow the Libertarian Party and deliver the maximum number of votes from his or her precinct on Election Day. These volunteers comprise the core of any grassroots effort and no political campaign can be successful without these frontline Libertarian ambassadors.
Many people begin their political involvement as a Precinct Committeeman. It’s the perfect place to get started for anyone interested in building a better Libertarian Party and advancing Liberty in our communities, state and country. Simply put, the more of you we have throughout our state, the more elections we will win, and the more Freedom will triumph.
What does a Precinct Committeeman do?
The Committeeman’s job is really just an extension of what most people already do–talking to the neighbors. The difference is that our Committeemen become part of a state–wide team of activists.
With continual support and guidance of our Political Division, our Committeemen will be given the tools and instructions needed to become a libertarian leader and advance our platform principles of Less Government and More Freedom. A few example of Precinct Committeemen activities are:
- Identify libertarian–leaning voters
- Register new voters and encourage them to vote
- Distribute libertarian and/or campaign literature
- Participate in state–wide grassroots initiatives
- Carry out local party activities
How to Get Started
To become a precinct committeeman, follow these simple steps:
- Contact our Political Division and ask for your starter kit
- Fill out the forms provided, including your petition form
- Collect 10 signatures from inside your precinct
- Submit your forms and finished petitions to the Political Division Deputy Director.
- Once we process your forms you will be provide with resources to make your job easy
For more information or to begin the application process, contact our Political Division at Campaigns@LPIllinois.org and we will send you everything you need to get started.