How to Get Started as a Committeeman
Contact our Political Division and ask for your starter kit.
- The first step allows us to keep track of which precincts are being covered. It also helps the Political Division support your efforts. Email the Political Division to receive your packet. Click here if you need a copy of the Statement of Candidacy.
Fill out the forms provided, optionally including your petition form.
- There is a Statement of Candidacy, a Libertarian Pledge and a Petition Form, along with instructions. Fill in your name and information. Please do not sign any of your forms until you are in front of a Notary. (you can find a Notary at almost any bank)
Identify your precinct / Statement of Candidacy
- First you need to identify in which precinct you are registered, and where are the boundaries of that precinct. Resources include the following. Find your precinct by a Registration Lookup on the Board of Elections web site. Next find a map of your precinct using this Look Up Worksheet, or the SBoE List, or contacting your election authority (i.e. county clerk). If you have problems you can contact the Political Division or email the State Chair. Then fill out your Statement of Candidacy and Pledge. These are all of the required forms.
Collect 10 signatures from inside your precinct (optional)
- The best Precinct Committeemen will want to know their neighbors, and let them know about the Libertarian option. There will also be requirements imposed on us by state law in the future that will require us to run for Precinct Committeemen as we would run for County Board, Governor or President. To get used to the process, and to introduce ourselves to our neighbors, we encourage getting 10 signatures on our petitions and submitt them to the party. Going door to door is fun and easy. Please consider doing this as a way to get started on long lasting friendships with others in your neighborhood.
Notarize your documents.
- Once you have filled out the forms, take them to a Notary Public. Sign them there, then package all of the sheets together. (you can find a Notary at almost any bank)
Submit your forms and finished petitions to the Political Division Deputy Director.
- You may send the finished copies to PO BOX 5324, Bloomington, IL 61702. You can speed up the process if you also email electronic copies (you still need to mail the paper copies) to our Political Division
Once we process your forms you will be provide with resources to make your job easy.
- You will be put on a mailing list that will include all county and chapter chairs, party officers and all other precinct committeemen. You will be mail periodic recommendations for doing effective outreach. You will also get newsletters with information you can use and stories submitted by other precinct committeemen. You are also encouraged to submit stories of your own experience to share.
For more information or to begin the application process, contact our Political Division and we will send you everything you need to get started.